A sensational fruity muffin full of slow-release carbohydrates, nuts, and seeds. Perfect as a healthy option for breakfast but equally delicious as a healthy snack. Make these gluten-free by substituting the flour for gluten-free flour. Use fresh or frozen berries.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes 8 large muffins
- 150g wholemeal self-raising flour or gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 115g / 4oz low sugar muesli or gluten free muesli
- 75g / 3oz coconut sugar or xylitol
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 125ml milk or milk alternative
- 115g / 4oz fresh or frozen berries
- Preheat the oven to 180C / fan 160C / gas mark 4.
- Place the flour, baking powder, flaxseed, sea salt, cinnamon and muesli in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the rest of the ingredients except the berries into a blender and process until smooth. Pour into the flour mixture and beat well to form a thick batter. Gently stir in the berries.
- Spoon the mixture into greased muffin moulds. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and firm on top.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out and cooling on a rack.