This quiche is perfect for a light lunch served with salad or a substantial family dinner served with boiled new potatoes and coleslaw.
- 225g ready-made short-crust pastry
- Flour, for dusting
- 150g small broccoli florets
- 3 large eggs
- 100ml milk
- 75g Cheddar, finely grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g smoked salmon, chopped
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 20cm loose-based fluted flan tin. Trim the edges and prick the pastry base all over with a fork. Chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and baking beans. Bake on the hot baking sheet in the preheated oven for 10 mins. Remove the lining paper and beans and bake for a further 5-10 mins until the pastry is pale golden. Cool for 10 mins. Reduce the oven temperature to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 mins. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and half the cheese together in a jug and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Arrange the broccoli and salmon in the pastry case. Gently pour over the egg mixture and scatter over the rest of the cheese. Bake for 30-35 mins until golden and set. Serve warm or cold.
Tip: Instead of smoked salmon use a can of drained and flaked pink or red salmon.