This beautifully light and quick veggie dish is the perfect mid week treat when you are in a hurry. It’s tasty, cheap and fast to cook. All the family will enjoy this as well as getting the goodness from the vegetables. Great as a main meal or as an accompaniment to a curry.
• 1 medium sized cauliflower cut in to florets
• 2 medium potatoes – peeled and chopped
• 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
• 2 teaspoons cumin
• 2 teaspoons garlic and ginger mix
• 2 tablespoons tinned tomatoes
• 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
• 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
• Knob of butter (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan until hot. Add the cumin seeds and fry until golden in colour. Add the garlic and ginger mix, then the tomatoes and cook until fairly dry and thick.
- Add all the dry spices and stir. If the paste seems too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of water.
- Stir in the cauliflower, potato and cover the pan. Cook on a medium heat until the cauliflower and potatoes are soft.
- Cook without a lid for the last 10 minutes or until all the liquid has reduced.
- At the end of cooking, add a generous knob of butter to enrich the dish. (optional)
By Sima Millagan